Lean and Healthy Recipes
You can print them out via the Print Friendly button at the bottom…
Who says you can’t eat lasagna on a diet? With less than 300 cals and 8g carbs per serve, this beef and veggie based lasagna is totally skinny and super tasty!
Zucchini Lasagna – Serves 8
550g/1.1 lbs lean beef mince
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper
2 x 400ml/13.5oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
3 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise
425g/15oz low fat ricotta cheese
250g/8.8oz reduced fat mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 large egg
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F. In medium saucepan, brown the meat and season with salt. When cooked, drain to remove any fat. Add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic and onions, about 2 minutes. Return the meat to the pan, add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for 30 minutes, covered. The sauce should be thick.
2. Meanwhile, slice zucchini into 3mm/ 1/8″ thick slices, add salt lightly and set aside for 10 mins to remove excess moisture. After 10 mins, blot zucchini with paper towel.
3. On a grill pan, grill zucchini on each side, until cooked, about 1-2 mins per side. Place on paper towels to absorb any extra moisture.
4. Mix ricotta, Parmesan and egg. Stir well. In a casserole dish, spread some sauce on the bottom and layer zucchini to cover base. Then add ricotta mixture, top with mozzarella cheese & repeat until all ingredients used up. Cover with foil and bake covered for 45mins, then uncovered for 15 mins. Stand 5-10 mins before serving.
Nutritional info: Calories: 297 Protein: 30.5g Carbs: 8.2 Fat: 15
Who doesn’t love a bit of a twist to their Mexican? My hubby just loves these…
Chili Chicken Tacos – Serves 4
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
500g/1lb 2oz minced (ground) chicken
400g/14oz tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp brown sugar
400g/14oz tin red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
8 regular sized taco shells
low fat Greek yoghurt to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onion and cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes, or until soft. Increase heat to high and add the chicken. Cook until browned, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add the chili powder to the chicken and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tinned tomato, tomato paste and half a cup of water.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir through the sugar and kidney beans. Serve in taco shells with Greek yoghurt on top
Nutritional Info: Calories: 448 Protein: 36.2g Carbs: 35.1 Fat: 15.6g
This is comfort food at it’s best, without overdoing the calories. It’s low in carbs, so will fit right in on your low carb plan. A sure fire winner with the whole family!
Chicken, Bacon and Broccoli Casserole – serves 4
500g/ 1.1 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
100g/ 3.5 oz shortcut (lean) bacon, cubed
500g / 1.1 lbs frozen broccoli, broken apart (or fresh, steamed)
400g / 14 oz Can Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 Tbsp natural yoghurt or light mayo
80g / 2.8 oz Reduced-Fat Tasty cheese
50g / 1.75 oz breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 175 C / 350° F. Lightly coat a 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Place pieces of chicken and bacon in a large skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray over medium-high heat until chicken is cooked through;
3. In a large bowl, combine yogurt or mayonnaise, soup, broccoli and cheese; mix well.
4. Add chicken to broccoli mixture and stir until everything is coated evenly.
5. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
6. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top of the mixture.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Nutritional info: Calories: 416 Protein: 49g Carbs: 17.2g Fat: 15.1g
Find out how Andrea lost 15kg – Click the banner to the right